Temporary Research Scientist I, Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston)
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking an experienced confocal imaging expert and cell biologist to support drug discovery efforts and join our Research team located in Boston, MA. This individual will collaborate with a team of biologists and bring their imaging expertise to bear on sophisticated biological experiments. The successful applicant will have a strong scientific background and proven accomplishments in the use of cell biology, confocal microscopy and live cell imaging methods to answer complex biological questions. The ideal candidate will be responsible for the independent design, execution, analysis and interpretation of imaging data. The applicant must be a demonstrated team player, adaptable to changing needs, and able to work closely and responsively within their team. Excellent communication and people skills are required.
- Independently design and conduct confocal imaging experiments, including cell culture of complex cellular models
- Collates, interprets, and records image and statistical data in a systematic and timely manner
- Ability to record methods and teach other team members
- Oversight and maintenance of confocal microscope
- Presentation of methods and data to research teams in a clear and compelling manner
- Maintains current understanding of imaging technologies, methods, trends and advancements including emerging technologies and their potential use within Vertex research
- Ph.D. with 2+ or MS with 5+ years of experience in confocal microscopy
- Strong technical background in tissue culture and sterile technique
- Demonstrated expertise in confocal imaging methods, including experimental design, study execution, data collection, image analysis and result interpretation
- Expertise with live cell confocal imaging, including all aspects of experimental design, cell culture and preparation, time-series microscopy, data visualization, analysis and interpretation
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the company, please visit .